I had planned this change for about 6 months.
Of course I had NO idea it would happen smack-bang in the middle of one of the biggest global crises of modern humanity’s history.
But hey, that’ll make it memorable, right?
So why the name change?
Well, a number of reasons…
1. Confident Creative Academy is a mouthful! It’s a really long URL and people get confused all the time. But when I was building the academy in 2018, I NEEDED a name to be able to start building and choosing a name is HARD!! I don’t know how you mom’s do it!
2. Only after launching the Confident Creative Academy in 2019 did I realise there is actually a book called Confident Creative. It concerned me, once I found out, that further down the line, when the academy became bigger, that there might be some branding issues and concerns that people might confuse the academy as something related to the book or as something created by the author.
3. When I first had the idea for the academy, it was initially intended for… Creatives. Other women like me who had turned their creative talents into a business. As the membership grew, I realised that I had many more coaches and bookkeepers and other such solopreneurs who didn’t identify as a Creative. Over time, I’ve also realised that my members are generally older women, as opposed to younger millennial, and felt the need to speak more to them, especially as I turned 40 in that first year of the academy.
4. I wanted something unique, like a ‘Google’ – a non-word that gave itself it’s own meaning. Because that’s exactly the intention for the members of the academy…. to create their own meaning.
5. It took me Sooooooo long to settle on a name…. literally about 6 months. The list was looong! And just when I thought I’d landed on THE name, I’d check the URL and it was taken. When Cafinnate came to me – it was like I’d just downed a strong shot of expresso!! It went straight to my head, it gave me goosebumps and I felt like I’d just woken up!!
Some people said I was silly to go ahead with the name change during this lock down, and a part of me agrees with them. But the bigger part of me knows that this needed to happen, so that I could get on with putting my energy into creating the kind of content inside the academy that would support all my members, and future members, who are wanting to redefine themselves and their businesses in light of the major transition we’re all being subjected to.
We cannot control what’s going on in the world, but we can control our choices, and with the right support, information and accountability, one small choice has the potential to change the trajectory of our entire lives and businesses. So much so that many of us will say that this ‘crisis’ was the best thing that ever happened to us.
So, if what the Cafinnate Academy has to offer resonates with you and forms part of your journey, then I share in the gratitude for that spark of inspiration that struck me last year and kept nudging me to move forward with this change. And when I receive feedback from my members about the impact the academy is having, I’m inspired to keep creating through the discomfort of the current climate…
Here’s what Rose sent me the day she signed up on 1st April and did the Camera Confidence Course:
Yesterday Rose joined the Cafinnate Academy and got started on the Camera Confidence Course…. Later in the day, I received this voice note:
Posted by Abigail K on Thursday, 2 April 2020
So as each day of this lock down continues, I’m learning to listen out for and pay attention to those nudges more and more…. the nudges to create, the nudges to rest, the nudges to check my ego, and the nudges to serve when I’ve filled my own cup to a point that I’m able to give from a place of love and abundance.
So much is shifting, so much is changing, and we are all adaptable. It doesn’t mean it won’t be messy at times. I’ve shared my own messiness in this process and I continue to do things very imperfectly, but I’ll love the mess along with the clarity and I invite you to do the same.